When you are playing a superhero known for being the pinnacle of human potential having a fit, lean and muscular body is a must. This is why Chris Evans worked out hard and ate right to get the physique that he showcased in numerous movies as he played Captain America. If you want a body like a superhero then you can follow a similar program and get great results as well.
The foundation of any good fitness plan is a great diet. First thing you should understand about Chris Evans workout, that he is naturally a thin guy, so for him he had to customize his diet and eat a lot of calories in order to bulk up for his role as Captain America. Now just because he was eating to bulk up doesn’t mean he was ordering pizzas every night and having donuts for breakfast. The key to bulking up the right way is to up your calorie intake by eating the right kinds of healthy foods.
- Protein. The foundation of Chris’s Captain America diet was protein and a lot of it. He ate about one gram of protein per pound of body weight per day. This meant eating lots of chicken breast. The hardest part of this type of bulking diet is that you have to force yourself to eat every few hours even when you aren’t hungry. When you are dieting to lose weight you work to create a calorie deficit, when you are bulking up like Chris was then you need to push the envelope in the opposite direction. In addition to chicken breast Chicken breast Chris also ate a lot of nuts, yogurt, and also drank protein shakes throughout the day.
- While protein is important for building muscle you also need to eat a lot of healthy carbodhydrates in order to give yourself energy. Chris ate a lot of fresh salads, fresh fruits and vegetables, and brown rice and porridge.
- Supplements. A great diet is a great foundation, but like anyone else trying to get into great shape Chris had to add supplements to his routine. In addition to drinking protein shakes he also supplemented with glutamine, branch chain amino acids, vitamins, and omega fatty acids.
A Sample Daily Diet Plan
Breakfast: 1 bowel of oatmeal, 1/2 cup of walnuts, 1/2 cup of raisins, almond milk, 1 cup of low-fat yogurt, and 1 banana combined into a bowel of porridge.
Lunch: Chicken Caesar Salad. Combine Romaine lettuce, 1 sliced cucumber, 2 crushed garlic cloves, and two grilled and sliced chicken breasts.
Dinner: Crock pot style chicken stew/soup: Combine 1 lb. of diced chicken breast, 1/4 lbs. of chopped bacon, 1/2 a chopped onion, 2 tablespoons of chipotle sauce, 1 diced garlic clove, and then season to your personal taste.
Chris Evans workout. Training Hard And Heavy
In order to build muscle you have to hit the weight room. There’s simply no avoiding it, and to get the body he showed off as Captain America Chris engaged in some back breaking workouts.
He also split up his workouts so that he could target specific muscle groups and allow his body to rest and recover between workouts.
Chest And Shoulders
- 2 sets of 5 shoulder presses. This should be done with heavy weight. Make sure that you use proper form, and don’t jerk the weight to get it up. Raise it and lower it in a controlled motion. If you can’t control the weight in this way then you need to lower the amount you are lifting.
- 2 sets of 5 Incline bench press. Incline bench presses are great because they target your upper chest and build mass there. Many guys have trouble adding muscle to their upper chest, and they make the mistake of only doing flat benches which compounds the problem. Incline presses should be done with lighter weight than you use for a flat bench, but you should still use fairly heavy weight.
- 2 sets of 5 Incline close grip bench press. This will work your upper chest as well as your middle chest and your triceps as well. Remember that your chest isn’t just one muscle, it is a group of muscles so you need to attack it from different angles.
- 2 sets of 5 Incline push ups. You do these by using something to elevate your upper body so it is higher than your legs. When doing push ups in this position your lower chest is targeted as well as your triceps. If you want that nice, clean cut below your pecs, then this exercise is a must.
- 2 sets of 5 Weighted push ups. Use a weight vest and the simple old fashioned push up suddenly becomes far more challenging.
- 2 sets of 5 Seated or kneeling shoulder presses. While this is very similar to a shoulder press, when you are seated or kneeling you force your lower body to remain static so that you can’t cheat when doing the workout.
Biceps And Triceps
- 3 sets of 8 weighted dips. You can do these one of two ways. You can use a dip rack and wear a weighted vest, or chains, or you can place your legs on a chair or stool then balance a weight on your legs. In either case make sure that you are using slow controlled motions. This workout will really build your biceps, and it will work you chest a little as well.
- 3 sets of 8 bent over preacher curls. You can use a dumbbell or a kettle bell here. When you perform these make sure that you bend at the waist and then place one let in front of the other. You then take your arm and place your elbow on the inside of your knee of the leg that is in front. Then you do your arm curls. By using your knee to stabilize your arm you are able to place more strain on your biceps muscle.
- 3 sets of 8 Seated, incline hammer curls. You perform these while sitting on a bench that is slightly reclined backwards. Make sure that you grip the dumbbell with your thumb on top, hence the name hammer curls. This exercise will work not only your biceps but also your forearms.
- 3 sets of 8 Incline biceps curl. Very similar to the incline hammer curl, but you do this with a traditional grip. Remember that your biceps muscles are much like your chest, they need to be hit from a variety of different angles.
- 3 sets of 8 EZ-Curl bar. While it’s called the EZ-Curl bar, the wavey shaped bar is anything but easy. The unique shape of this bar forces your arms to move in a very distinct motion which will target areas of your biceps that may have been missed by other exercises.
Legs And Back
- 2 sets of 10 Barbell Squats. The squat is a very old and very basic exercise, and it is highly effective at strengthening your legs, glutes, back, and just about every other part of your body. Make sure that you are thoroughly warmed up before you do your first set, and that you use proper form. While squats are a fantastic exercise, they can also cause significant injury if not done properly. It’s a good idea to do a quick set of 10 without any weight before your first set just to get your body ready for the exercise.
- 2 sets of 10 Jump squats. You perform this exercise without any weight. The main difference between a traditional squat is that you are using a much more explosive motion. You lower yourself to the ground slowly, and then you explode up quickly and leave the ground before landing and lowering yourself slowly once again.
- 2 sets of 10 Deadlifts. Deadlifts are another old fashioned exercise that is highly effective. It also carries the risk for serious injury much like squats do, so make sure that you use proper form, that you stretch ahead of time, and that you warm up thoroughly. You also need to use heavy weight here so that you get the most from this exercise.
- 2 sets of 10 Chin ups. Chin ups are hard, so a lot of people avoid them. But they are very effective and are a necessity if you want a strong upper back. If you can’t perform a set of 10 you can do a cheating version by resting 1 leg or both on a chair in front of you as you perform this exercise. Also make sure that you use a grip with your hands facing your face. If you are at the gym there are assisted pull up machines available in most major gyms. You can also substitute lat pull downs on a machine, but your goal should be to build strength until you can do actual pull ups.
- 2 sets of 10 Weighted pull ups. Perform this exercise with your hands facing outward. While you should ideally be using weight you can start out without weight and even use a chair to cheat until you build up enough strength to use weight.
- 2 sets of 10 Upright rows. You perform this exercise by gripping a barbell with your hands close together and palms facing inward. Then raise the weight toward your face while keeping your elbows facing outward. As an alternative you can use a kettle bell for this exercise.
- 2 sets of 10 kettle bell swings. You perform this exercise by using a controlled swinging motion to raise a kettlebell slightly above eye level. You can swing straight in front of you, to the side, and also at an angle behind you to hit all of your shoulder muscles.
One thing that you may have noticed about the Chris Evans Captain America workout is that there isn’t a lot of cardio involved. In fact there’s no cardio training at all. There are a few reasons for this. First, Chris was naturally lean and was trying to bulk up so there wasn’t a lot of body fat to burn off to begin with.
Second the workouts he was doing were performed in a circuit training environment, so he was quickly moving from one workout to the next which kept his heart rate up. If you feel that you have a little more body fat that needs to come off then feel free to add some cardio to your workout routine.
Developing a great and effective workout routine is all about customizing it so that it works for you. So if you feel you need to go for a jog a few days a week, then go for it.
One important thing
Another important thing to keep in mind is that Chris performed this workout for a relatively short period of time. The intensity level in this workout is very high, so if you are considering trying it then you should probably do it for a few months at most and use it to either jump start your existing routine, or get results quickly if you are just starting out. It’s also worth remembering that your body will begin to adapt to your training in a month or two, and as a result your results will begin to slow down, which is another great reason to change things up on a regular basis.
Getting the body of a superhero isn’t easy, if it was everyone would look like Captain America. But just because it isn’t easy doesn’t mean you can’t do it. You can do it, and you can get an amazing body if you are willing to stick to this program. Make sure that you eat right first, because without a solid diet as a foundation your body will never reach it’s full potential. Then hit the weights, hit them hard, hit them heavy, and before you know it you will look like an Avenger.